PA Interfaith Power & LIght
205-IPL Pasquerilla Spiritual Center
University Park, PA, 16802
Date(s) - 02/17/2013
Take a bus to the Forward on Climate rally in Washington, DC!
You may already be aware that there is a big rally, Forward on Climate, planned for Noon – 4:00 in Washington, DC on February 17, 2013. Many members of PA IPL are going, and we’d love to see you there. Q and A below.
- How do I get there? There are buses going from many areas of PA, and PennFuture is keeping an up-to-date list. If a bus is full, ask organizers about adding a van, or following in a full, energy efficient car.
- Why would I go? This rally has taken on new urgency since the President’s inaugural address in which he named climate change as one of the great challenges in front of us, and called on Americans to lift up our voices in defense of our values. Using fossil fuels as we do violates the Golden Rule. Our privilege causes pain, first for those who are the most vulnerable, but eventually for all of us. Climate change is destroying Creation. We can do better.
- What can I expect? Huge crowds of peaceful people carrying signs, and hoping that they’ve dressed warmly enough, packed enough water, and fully charged their cameras and phones. Some bus groups may be mostly one group — a particular faith group, or members of the National Wildlife Federation, for example. Regardless of the group, we encourage you to carry (or wear) signs that identify you as a person of faith concerned about climate change. Do you have colorful congregational banners? Words to a rousing, relevant hymn? Bring them along!
- What if I can’t go? Hold a prayer, vigil, discussion, film viewing, concert, or other event at your house of worship on this day or another day soon as part of Interfaith Power & Light’s national Preach In. Sign postcards or letters to the President (included in the free, downloadable kit), asking Mr. Obama to act on climate change to help protect the most vulnerable here and around the world. We need our president to live up to his words and ideals. We need all of our lawmakers to hear that we want them to act. Pray that they will have the creativity, leadership, vision, and strength to do so, and to do so well.
- Where can I learn more? Learn more about the rally itself, climate change, and the Keystone XL pipeline at 350.org. Learn how to link up with a multi-faith contingent organized by the Interfaith Moral Action on Climate and Maryland & Greater Washington Interfaith Power & Light. If you’d like to see a video on the Tar Sands, White Water, Black Gold has won awards, and is available as a free vimeo (high-quality) video until Feb. 18.