The ancient Buddhist tradition of prayer flags is the physical manifestation of prayer through symbol, word and color strung up to create a vibration that is activated and carried by the wind across the country. In this time as we watch our environmental laws under threat it is easy to lose hope. This project is meant to find hope and strength though reflection and creating art in an image of the world we want to see. As we enter our places of worship or take to the street to march for our climate, these flags can be our symbol of hope.
Prayer flags at the Climate March
This year at the Climate March on April 29th in Washington DC IPL will carry prayer flags from faith communities across the county. Congregations who wish to have a flag in the march can make an extra flag for IPL and send it to us in time to add to the string of flags. We are excited to unite the prayers to send a message of hope and blessings for this planet we all live on.
How to make a prayer flag
- Cut a piece of fabric to 8 inches by 10 inches.
- Use light weight fabric. i.e., no canvas or denim. Consider using recycled fabric from items such as sheets or old shirts.
- The fabric is often a solid color but feel free to use patterned if that is what you prefer or what you have
- Focus on your prayer for the climate. Draw, sew, paint or embellish your flag with pictures or words to symbolize your prayer.
- The final flag is 8 x 8 inches. Leave at least 2 inches at the top to fold over the rope.
- Add your congregations name, city and state somewhere on the flag that you will send to IPL
How to use your flags:
- Send one or more flags to Interfaith Power & Light to be carried in climate marches throughout the year.
- If you do the project before Faith Climate Action Week IPL will carry your flag in the Washington DC People’s Climate March on April 29th.
- Bring the flags to your local marches and protests to symbolize the powerful prayers of the faithful across the country.
- Display your flags in your house of worship and let flutter forth to your congregation the hope and prayers you all have for the climate
- Take a photo of you with your flags and share your prayer for the climate. Post to social media with the hashtag #FaithClimateActionWeek or send to email@example.com
Mail 1 or more flags to IPL
If you are doing the project during Faith Climate Action Week and want a flag to be in the march please send your flag priority mail to arrive no later than April 24th to IPL-DMV, 100 Allison St. NW, Washington DC, 20011
If you are doing the project earlier or later than Faith Climate Action Week, you can mail your flag to: Interfaith Power & Light, 672 13th Street, Suite 100, Oakland, CA 94612